- Food scheme for labourers
- Social activists have called for a policy of “portability” to ensure that the seasonal migrant labourers can get subsidised ration under the National Food Security Act at their place of work.
- With this policy, the rice quota allotted to them at their respective villages can be delivered at their workplaces with co-ordination of the food and civil supplies department personnel.
- In view of mobility of the people of rural Odisha, the portability policy of the State Food Security Scheme is the need of the hour.
- The migrant labourers are leaving their home and hearth, seeking employment outside their place of habitations. In the process, they stay months together away from their home. The public distribution system eludes them because of their outstation engagement.
- The state is launching its own food security scheme to ensure food and nutrition to an additional 34.44 lakh people left out from the national act.
- According to the 2001 census, as many as 7,892,815 persons in the state are intra-district migrant labourers.
- They mostly move alone or with their families to the intra-state and inter-state destinations.
- The portability of comprehensive food security scheme can directly benefit the people and provide a cushion against hunger and food insecurity. It will also help the child and mother to access uninterrupted access to nutritional security
- Indian Ambassador to Nepal Manjeev Singh Puri and Nepal’s Secretary of Ministry of Physical Planning and Works, Madhusudan Adhikari signed the MoU in Kathmandu.
- India and Nepal agreed in April 2018 to construct a new electrified rail line with India’s financial support connecting the border city of Raxaul in India to Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal.
· India Along With 23 Other Nations Participates In Tsunami Mock Drill
- The exercise, known as ‘IOWave18’, is being organized by the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO, which coordinated the setting up of the Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning and Mitigation System (IOTWMS) in the aftermath of December 2004 tsunami.
- A primary objective of IOWave18 exercise is to enhance tsunami preparedness at community level. The purpose of exercise is to increase tsunami preparedness, evaluate response capabilities in each state and improve coordination throughout the region.
- Indian Tsunami Early Warning Centre (ITEWC), based out of the Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS), Hyderabad, is an autonomous institution under the Union Ministry of Earth Sciences.
· ISRO to launch 19 missions in just 7 months
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will conduct 19 missions, including 10 satellitesand nine launch vehicles, in the next seven months between September and March.
- It will include the launch of India’s second moon mission Chandrayaan-2.
- ISRO planned to launch two satellites within 30 days consecutively for months.
- The services would be resumed on September 15 with the PSLV C42 mission, which will carry UK satellites – Novasar and S1-4– as the main payload.
- Then, ISRO will launch GSLV Mk III-D2, also known as ‘Bahubali’.
· Ukraine launched joint military exercises with the U.S. and other NATO countries
- Ukrainehas launched joint military exercises with the U.S.and a string of other NATO countries. The annual Rapid Trident military exercises are to happen in the western Ukrainian village of Starychi until September 15, involve some 2,200 soldiers from 14 countries. This is because of the rise in tension with Russia remains high over the Kremlin-backed insurgency in the country’s east.
- The event will start a week before Russia holds its biggest military exercises, Vostok 2018, since the Cold War, with the participation of China and Mongolia. It is expected that around 350 pieces of military equipment will be used during the exercises.
· RBI buys gold for the first time in 9 years
- Taking a cue from global uncertainties, market volatility, and rising interest rates in the US, The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has added 46 tonnes of goldduring the financial year 2017-18, taking the level of gold reserves to 566.23 tonnes as on June 30, 2018.
- RBI last purchased 200 tonnesof gold from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in November 2009.
- Centre to hold consultations on Western Ghats after NGT order
- The Centre is again going to consult six the Western Ghats to form a consensus on the draft notification that has demarcated 56,825 sq.kms as ecologically sensitive area (ESA) across Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala
- Alterations in ESA areas would seriously impact the environment and, therefore, should not be allowed, NGT said in view of Kerala floods. This would be the fourth time that the draft notification needs to be republished since 2014.
- The Kasturirangan report also speaks on providing incentives to states in lieu of the restrictions it has imposed on certain activities such as mining, constructions and tourism.
OPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for OPSC Prelims and OPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by OPSC Notes are as follows:-
- OPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- OPSC Prelims Exam 2018- Test Series and Notes Program
- OPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- OPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes