- Tb now number one killer in odisha
- When TB takes on an average six life every 24 hours in Odisha, the grim fact for the State TB planners in Odisha saw a big dip in treatment success rate in 2017.
- When treatment success rate was 89 per cent in 2016, the rate nosedived to 72 per cent in 2017. Odisha’s rate is below the national average rate of 79 per cent in 2017. The diabolic fact is new TB cases notified in 2017 in Odisha posted a whopping around 61 per cent jump over 2016, the highest such growth in the country.
- Such a lethal fact has come to fore in the recently released National Health Profile (NHP) 2018. As per NHP – 2018, Odisha saw new notified TB cases of around 67,162 in 2017 against 41,740 in 2016. The TB cases rose to a total of 71,131 in 2017 when cases in private hospitals are included.
- Data reveals of total notified cases in 2017, a high of 88 per cent were new TB patients and around 12 per cent are recurrent TB cases (means patients that were earlier treated and cured). Around 2 percent TB cases have HIV infection. While pulmonary TB cases (means TB affecting lungs) account for a lion’s share of 80 per cent in Odisha, extra-pulmonary TB (TB affecting organs/tissues other than lungs) cases constitute 20 per cent.
- Though total TB deaths in 2017 in Odisha is under processing, TB killed over 2,036 in 2016 of the total new cases notified that year.
- Significant fact is death rate is high in recurrent TB cases in Odisha. Data reveals when 4 per cent of the total new microbiologically confirmed cases resulted in death; the proportion was 8 per cent in recurrent TB cases.
- Similarly, when 4 per cent of new cases clinically diagnosed turned fatal, it’s 6 per cent in recurrent TB cases. Odisha’s proportion is higher than national averages.
- However, a respite for Odisha is total TB deaths decreased over the years. TB incidence in Odisha in 2017 was estimated at 159/lakh/year vis-a-vis national average incidence of 138.33/lakh/year. Odisha figured among top-ten TB incidence States in country.
- As per new National Strategic Plan prepared by the Modi Government, India has set year 2025 to make it TB free. Now, the Centre via DBT provides Rs500/month to TB patients to ensure zero catastrophic cost on patient’s households, and reduce the incidence to 142/lakh by 2022.
- NSG plenary meeting held in Jurmala, Latvia
- The 28th Plenary Meeting of the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) was held in Jurmala, Latvia On 14th and 15th June 2018.
- The NSG plenary meeting was chaired by Ambassador Jānis Zlamets of Latvia.
- The NSG reviewed the developments since the last meeting in Bern in 2017.
· Russia Launched Soyuz 2.1b Carrier Rocket With Glonass M Navigation Satellite
- Russia launched a Soyuz-2.1bcarrier rocket from the Plesetsk space center to orbit a Glonass-M satellite.
- GLONASS – the Russian acronym for ‘Global Navigation Satellite System’.
- The Glonass network provides real-time positioning data for surface, sea and airborne objects around the globe, at an accuracy reportedly on par with the U.S. Global Positioning System (GPS).
- With this Launch, there are now 26 Glonass satellites in orbit.
· SAARC fund to launch social enterprise programme in India and 7 other member nations
- Thimpu-based SAARC Development Fund (SDF) will soon be launching a Social Enterprise Development Programme (SEDP) to fund 80 entities annually across the 8-member states including India.
- SDF was established by the Heads of the eight SAARC member states in April 2010 and its Governing Council comprises finance ministers of these eight countries.
- SAARC members are – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
· World Bank approves 700 mn dollar to improve primary education in Bangladesh
- The World Bank has approved $700 million to improve the primary education sector in
- It will also finance implementation of the government’s Fourth Primary Education Development Program (PEDP4).
- This project will build about 95,000 classrooms, teachers’ rooms, and multipurpose rooms.
- It will also build 80,000 Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) blocks and 15,000 safe water sources.
- The projects will provide recruitment to about 100,000 teachers.
· China unveils 4 point vision for future cooperation with India
- On June 18, 2018, Chinese envoy to India Luo Zhaohui unveiled a four-point vision for future cooperation with India.
- This is followed by the informal summit between PM Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- The four-point vision are:
1) Sign a Treaty of Friendship and Cooperation
2) Negotiate a bilateral Free Trade Agreement
3) Enhance connectivity
4) Work for early harvest on boundary issues.
- Government to team up with Google for flood forecasting
- Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Shri Nitin Gadkari has expressed hope that collaboration with Google will help in effective flood management in India.
- Central Water Commission (CWC), India’s apex technical organization in the field of Water Resources, has entered into a Collaboration Agreement with Google.
- CWC would use state-of-the-art advances made by Google in the in the field of Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and geo spatial mapping for effective management of water resources particularly in the field of flood forecasting and dissemination of flood related information to the masses widely using the dissemination platforms developed by Google.
- This initiative is likely to help crisis management agencies to deal extreme hydrological events in a better manner.
· Mehbooba Mufti resigns as Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister
- Mehbooba Muftiresigned as Jammu and Kashmir’s chief minister, after the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) ended its alliance with her Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), potentially pushing the state towards Governor’s rule.
- She handed over her resignation to Governor NN Vohra.
OPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for OPSC Prelims and OPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by OPSC Notes are as follows:-
- OPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- OPSC Prelims Exam 2018- Test Series and Notes Program
- OPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- OPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes