Though by 1939 internal strifes, opportunism and hunger for power had started surfacing among congressmen, yet they were able to utilise council work to their advantage to a great extent. The significant of congress rule can be gauged from following points:
- The contention that Indian self government was necessary for radical social transformation got confirmed.
- Congressmen demonstrated that a movement could use state power to further its ends without being co opted.
- The ministries were able to control communal riots.
- The morale of the bureaucracy came down.
- People were able to perceive the shape of things to come if independence was won.
- Administration work by Indians further weakened the myth that Indians were not fit to rule.